Education & Work History
2017 – , Associate professor, Institute of Wetland Research, Chinese Academy of Forestry.
2014 – 2017, Assistant professor, Institute of Wetland Research, Chinese Academy of Forestry.
2008 – 2014, Doctor of Philosophy in Wildlife Conservation and utilization, College of Nature Conservation, Beijing Forestry University. Advisor: Professor Defu Hu. Dissertation: Conservation genetics of the Przewalskii’s horse and implications for conservation.
2006-2008, lab assistant, Institute of Microbiology, Chinese Academy of Science.
2002-2006, Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy, College of Pharmacy, Henan University.
My research interests focus on conservation biology and evolutionary biology of the endangered avian species, Great Bustard (Otis tarda) and its relative species. By using the noninvasive fecal sampling method, I mainly study the impacts of habitat degradation on Great Bustard population genetic structure, and further incorporate diet data and physiological indicators to understand how the large body sized bird adapts to the environment and climate change, and try to infer the mechanism of partial migration. During my stay in Prof. Edwards lab, I will integrate comparative genomics and transcriptome data to investigate the molecular adaptation patterns responding to environment change in both breeding and wintering season.
- Liu G, Shafer A, Hu X, Li LH, Ning Y, Gong MH*, Cui LJ, Li HX, Hu DF, Qi L, Tian HJ, Wang BJ. Meta-barcoding insights into the spatial and temporal dietary patterns of the threatened Asian Great Bustard (Otis tarda dybowskii) with potential implications for diverging migratory strategies. Ecology & Evolution, 2018, 8(3):1736-1745.
- Liu G*, Hu X, Kessler AE, Gong M, Wang Y, Li H, Dong Y, Yang Y, Li L. Snow cover and snowfall impact corticosterone and immunoglobulin a levels in a threatened steppe bird. General and comparative endocrinology. 2018,15;261:174-8.
- Gong MH, Ning Y, Han M, Zhao C, Tian JX, Li LW, Xiao HY, Liu G *. A comparison of next-generation sequencing with clone sequencing in the diet analysis of Asian great bustard. Conservation Genetics Resources, 2018:1-3.
- Liu G, Hu Xiaolong, Shafer A.B. Aaron, Gong Minghao*, Han Morigen, Yu Changjiang, Zhou Jingying, Bai Jie, Meng Derong, Yu Guohai. Genetic structure and population history of wintering Asian Great Bustard (Otis tarda dybowskii) in China: implications for conservation. Journal of Ornithology, 2017,158:761-772.
- Liu G, Gong Minghao*, Guan Tianpei, Dai Qiang, Li Huixin. Impacts of temperature on giant panda habitat in the north Minshan Mountains. Ecology and Evolution. 2016, 6(4): 987–996.
- Liu G, Shafer AB, Zimmermann W, Hu DF*, Wang WT, Chu HJ, Cao J and Zhao CX. Evaluating the reintroduction project of Przewalski’s horse in China using genetic and pedigree data. Biological Conservation, 2014, 171: 288-298.
Google Scholar Profile: https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=wtZXbJ8AAAAJ
Institute of Wetland Research, Chinese Academy of Forestry
Haidian District, Beijing, China